Sunday 28 May 2017

How did I come up with the idea of researching Spinoza?


Why Spinoza? How did I come up with the idea of researching Spinoza?
He wasn’t my first thought, partly because I thought there were so many illustrious scholars of Spinoza I wouldn’t have anything to contribute. I was taught by Professor Susan James on my BA course who gave two lectures on Spinoza for the History of Philosophy module, one in the first year in 2010 on his Theological Political Treatise (TTP) and one in the third year in 2012 on his Ethics, including writing a set essay for the module (see my academia page1). On top of that I attended further talks by her and others and dipped into sections of his works on my own out of interest. I was also asked to join the Spinoza Research Network by Beth Lord in 2011 (at a Spinoza workshop in Ghent) so I signed up. After graduating 2013 I set about writing PhD proposals and research ideas some, but not all, of which are on my academia page. Then a series of family crises initially put my philosophy research on hold for a few months until I couldn’t wait for a period of respite any longer so resumed my research through the turmoil. Just as well because the respite still hasn’t happened! There’s no such thing as a good time to do research or anything else for that matter. There’s just now.
So, it was not until I resumed philosophy by going back to attending talks that I heard Susan James’s talk for the Royal Institute of Philosophy in 2014 entitled ‘Why Should We Read Spinoza?’2 and I thought I’d give Spinoza a go. I still wasn’t sure if anything would strike me. While at home one day, I idly picked up my copy of Scruton’s book on Spinoza3. It’s a very thin introductory book so quick to read. There I learnt that Spinoza had apparently written an Apology after his excommunication stating that he considered himself to have an orthodox Jewish outlook4. Although this Apology is now lost, this gave me the idea for a research question: What if Spinoza did believe and claim that his outlook and approach was and remained in line with Orthodox Judaism? Scruton5 goes on to suggest that Spinoza’s claims about his commitment to orthodoxy in his lost Apology may be included in his TTP. Thus, I asked myself: Could Spinoza’s TTP and other works be re-read in light of this and interpreted accordingly, so making Spinoza not an atheist, or pantheist or a thorough-going Cartesian, as some claim, but rather an orthodox Jew? Is there textual evidence that Spinoza remained a committed Jew? So I sat down and read the TTP in one go over a fortnight late December to January 2014/15 and decided there were passages to support this interpretation of Spinoza. On this view, he was not an atheist or pantheist because they are both contrary to Judaism. However, it still allows for Spinoza somewhat selectively drawing on Cartesian philosophy and Dutch politics and culture. For instance, in the TTP he praises Dutch tolerance, was keen on Jan de Witt and wrote a book teaching and assessing Descartes’ philosophy albeit stating where he disagreed with him in the appendix.
However, I began to wonder whether, given how his earlier, formative education was steeped in Jewish thinking, given the schools he attended and the learning he received, was his Jewish education his biggest influence overall? At first glance, this may seem not to cohere with Spinoza’s secular and liberal leanings. However, I realised that this tension can resolved when I learnt that he was primarily taught by two rabbis. One was very orthodox and the other, Rabbi Manasseh ben Israel, was “liberal” minded, had “secular interests” and non-Jewish friends such as Rembrandt6. Therefore, are we making too much of Spinoza going on to have non-Jewish friends and including secular ideas? Spinoza would hardly consider this un-Jewish of him given a rabbi was doing the same. Indeed, I read that Scruton7 also draws similar conclusions when he writes “It was no doubt through Manasseh’s influence that Spinoza began to identify so strongly with the secular and enquiring culture of the Netherlands”. So, I agree that there was a Dutch influence on him, however I think he may have arrived at this influence through Judaism so making his Orthodox Judaism the more fundamental of the two. In this way, what I shall call the Contextual-Argument-Analysis interpretation of Spinoza as introduced and outlined by Professor Susan James8 (ie. to put it simplistically, if I read her correctly, “to interpret” his TTP by reading it in light of “the sequence of theological and political debates to which he is contributing” and the “milieu in which the Treatise was written”), is an interpretation which I feel overall doesn’t run contrary to my Orthodox Jewish interpretation of Spinoza. Instead the Contextual-Argument-Analysis interpretation is the one that best runs concurrently alongside mine as it explores another important aspect of his life, possible influences, historical and argumentative contexts to his views. After all, Spinoza could have, and did have, both Dutch and religiously Jewish identities simultaneously, without cognitive dissonance, just as Rabbi Manasseh did, especially given Spinoza’s agreement with the Dutch values of tolerance, religious pluralism and freedom. The same cannot be said for being concurrently religiously Jewish yet atheist, or pantheist, or being predominantly Cartesian.
So why Orthodox Jewish? Well, that was the only branch of Judaism that existed in the 17th Century so any Jew would strictly speaking be correctly categorised as orthodox irrespective of their liberal, or not, leanings as can be seen by Rabbi Manasseh. Originally I thought maybe, had Spinoza lived at a later time and could choose from a variety of denominations, he would be a reform or liberal Jew. But since writing my first paper on him, my further research and thinking has altered my view. The more I read him, the more I think he remained a traditional orthodox Jew at heart rather than a reform Jew. He appears more like the latter at times perhaps as a result of his and his family’s difficult circumstances, such as expulsion from Spain and the harsh, cruel treatment he received at his Synagogue rather than through his natural inclinations. For instance, there are many possible, good explanations why he stopped regularly attending his synagogue especially since this lack of attendance may have been as a result of a knife attack on him. So his attendance wasn’t really a fair point to raise and use as one of the excuses to unfairly excommunicate him at the tender age of 23. And the excommunication itself would detrimentally affect how capable he would be of leading a traditional Jewish life so this may not be a good indication of how deeply religious he remained.
I’m totally fascinated by this genius who so often seems to cause unnecessary controversy and misunderstanding.
So research ideas arise, come together and develop for a variety of reasons and from various sources.
2 Susan James: Why Should We Read Spinoza? (07/11/2014) available at:
3 Scruton, R., (1986) Spinoza, past masters series, Oxford University Press
4 Scruton, R., (1986) Spinoza, past masters series, Oxford University Press p9
5 Scruton, R., (1986) Spinoza, past masters series, Oxford University Press p9
6 Scruton, R., (1986) Spinoza, past masters series, Oxford University Press p6
7 Scruton, R., (1986) Spinoza, past masters series, Oxford University Press p6
8 James, S., (2014) Spinoza on Philosophy, Religion, and Politics The Theologico-Political Treatise Oxford University Press (First published 2012) pp4; 5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.